I’ve been making mountain bars since I was a kid. They were actually one of the first recipes I ever made on my own (Thanks Mom!). This is the same recipe I’ve been making forever, except I pumped up the chocolate…cause you can never have too much chocolate. The key to perfect mountain bars is to make sure the butter/chocolate comes to a boil on medium heat – a full rolling boil that doesn’t stop even when you are stirring. Then time it for a minute at that boil prior to adding the remaining ingredients.
Enjoy just like when you were a kid – with a nice cup of milk!
Tonya’s Mountain Bars
* 2 cups white sugar
* 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 pinch salt
* 3 cups quick cooking oats — do not use old fashioned…or your cookies will be gummy and too chewy
* 1/2 cup peanut butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large saucepan bring sugar, cocoa, margarine, milk, and salt to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute.
2. Add quick cooking oats, peanut butter, and vanilla; mix well. Allow to set, off heat in pan for 30 seconds.
3. Working quickly, drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper, and let cool.