I first had this cookie at a tea party thrown by my good friend Lauren. She’s from Australia and has the most delightful accent ever. Also, she made some delicious treats from her homeland. These cookies were one of my favorites. I went searching for a recipe for them (probably just should have asked “Loz” for hers). Anyway, found this on an Aussie baking blog. Had to do some calculations since the original recipe was in grams – here it is for you all translated!
These cookies are delightfully delicate and practically dissolve in your mouth (thus the name). The slightly tart lemon filling is perfect with the rich buttery cookie. Enjoy them with a cup of tea or coffee and a few good friends.
13 T butter, softened (if using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon fine table salt with the butter)
1/3 cup, lightly packed powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
3/4 cup, very firmly packed powdered sugar (I just did a cup of sugar, unpacked)
4 T butter, softened
3 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 300°. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
1. Using an electric mixer or electric hand-held beaters, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until creamy. Stop the machine and use a spatula to scrape down the side and base of the bowl. Continue beating until the mixture is completely smooth.
2. Add cornstarch and beat until combined.
3. Add flour and beat until just combined.
4. Roll into one inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets.
5. Use a flat surface (such as the base of a glass) to gently flatten the balls to form discs.
6. Press a fork into each disk making small indentations.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, until cookies are golden on the underside and just firm to the touch.
8. Cool cookies on trays for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Make the lemon filling. Place a heaped teaspoon of the filling on the flat side of one biscuit.
10. Top with the flat side of another cookie and gently press together. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature, in the refrigerator or freezer.
Using an electric mixer or electric hand-held beaters, beat powdered sugar, butter and lemon juice together until smooth and creamy.