This is probably my favorite indulgent food. I love biscuits. I love meat. I love gravy. This combines all three in a perfect heart attack waiting to happen. But they are sooooooooooo good. Biscuits and gravy are something that can feed a crowd with minimal work during your party too. You can make everything the night before. Just keep the biscuits in an airtight container, and put the gravy in a crock pot to warm an hour or so before you’re going to serve. Yum yum yum.
These biscuits are very versatile too. I’ve removed the salt and added an additional tablespoon or so of sugar to sweeten them up and use as shortcake for strawberry shortcake. Perfect. Or just as a nice fluffy biscuit with chicken dinner or stew, they are awesome. The longer you let them rest uncooked, the bigger they will bake up. The photo is only half a biscuit. They bake up huge! You can easily eat these for a few days. Just keep the gravy in the fridge and warm it, adding milk if necessary to keep the consistency right. Pour over biscuit and heat for about 10 seconds in the microwave. I just had it that way for lunch. Mmmmm. My tummy is happy!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl – depending on the weather, this will be anywhere from 1/2 cup to the full cup of milk.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.
- While biscuits are baking, in a saucepan, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in butter until melted. Sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.