I’d never poached chicken before. And certainly never used the same water to then boil noodles in, but it worked really well, and made for one less pan to clean after dinner! Less dishes are always a good thing in my book. Feel free to add whatever veggies your family likes in addition to the carrots, celery and onion. Peas would be excellent in this for sure.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
6 ounces egg noodles
1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 oz mushrooms (if desired)
1/2 cup broccoli florets (if desired)
2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Poach chicken in a large pot of simmering water. Cook until no longer pink in center, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Bring chicken cooking water to a boil and cook pasta in it. Drain. Cut chicken into small pieces, and mix with noodles.
- Lightly saute any veggies in a non-stick skillet about 5 minutes and add to chicken and noodles.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, milk, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir together cream soup mixture with the chicken mixture. Place in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in microwave and stir into crumbled crackers & parmesan. Top casserole with the buttery crackers.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.