This is one of my all time favorite cookies to make. First of all, peanut butter cups are like the perfect treat. Bite sized, chocolate/peanut-y deliciousness. The only thing that could make them more perfect is to wrap them in a peanut butter cookie. I once had to remake these cookies three times between Thanksgiving and Christmas because the batches kept being devoured anytime I had guests over…finally, I put them in the freezer to keep them from being eaten. Which reminds me – these freeze beautifully for up to a month.
Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup peanut butter
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 48 miniature chocolate covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
3. Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture; mix well.
4. Use a 1 inch melon baller to scoop dough and drop into an ungreased mini muffin pan. No need for rolling into balls – they’ll get all craggy and messed up when you press the peanut butter cups into them.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a mini peanut butter cup into each ball. Cool completely and carefully remove from pan. I use a butter knife to remove these – slide it down one side of the muffin pan and then pop out gently. Be patient! If you try and get them out too soon – you’ll just end up with a big mess!