I made these delightful “crab” cakes for my kids tonight so that my hubby and I could have Baked Salmon Cakes without worrying about my daughter’s seafood allergy. Worked like a charm. Our dinner looked enough like theirs that there was no arguing or whining, and my 4 & 2-year-old chowed down on these cakes made of (gasp!) a vegetable. I think they actually thought it was cake. Or at least the name fooled them into eating enough that they realized it was good. My husband actually couldn’t decide which of the cakes he liked better. I agree, these fake crab cakes were almost as good as the real deal. These would be great as appetizers as well, just shape into smaller patties.
Zucchini “Crab” Cakes (makes 4 large patties)
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM
2 tablespoons flour (for dusting)
1/4 cup grated parmesan (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a cookie rack on a rimmed cookie sheet and spray well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini then place in a large strainer. Salt lightly and allow to release juice for about 10 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter. Stir in bread crumbs, parmesan, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Shape mixture into patties. Combine flour and parmesan – dredge patties in flour mixture to lightly coat.
- Place patties on prepared cookie rack and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Flip patties carefully and bake an additional 12-15 minutes. Turn oven to broil for final 5 minutes until patties are golden.