I just read an article online called “Get Gorgeous in 4 Weeks” – it was a main link on Yahoo’s homepage. I cannot believe the ridiculousness of it. Included in the article were “four weeks’ worth of purifying, indulgent, get gorgeous ideas”, which is a fine idea, but as I started to read, I realized something. For each days’ idea, there was a product suggested for achieving the goal listed. I started adding up the costs when I got to day 8. Here’s what I tallied for the 28 days of beauty:
$833.50 – which did not include the following (which had no prices listed)
– Hair appointment with your stylist
– Seeing a vein specialist to get those legs summer ready
– Brow shaping
– Using the concierge to schedule a spa day for you and your girlfriends
Now I’m no beauty expert, but I’m sure I can come up with some stuff that fits the 4 categories included in the article for less than $800+.
Step 1: Detox
1. Drink water. Lots of water. Cut out all those sugary sodas and juices. Hear a mocha-latte-frapa-capa-hoodly-whatsit calling your name? Don’t buy it.
2. Eat fresh fruit. Skip the chocolate dipped bars and the afternoon cookie snack and just pile up some pineapple, grapes, apples, oranges, kiwi, strawberries…you get the idea.
3. Give yourself a facial. Pour boiling water into a large bowl – cover your head with a towel and place your face just above the rim of the bowl. Breathe deeply for 5-10 minutes.
Money Saved – $179.50
Step 2: Delight
1. Dig into your makeup drawer and find a few eye shadows you haven’t tried in a while. Play around and find a new fabulous look.
2. Take a walk outside. Spend some time relishing the sounds of nature surrounding you.
3. Put on a pair of shoes you save for “special days” on a Tuesday. Feel like the goddess you are all day.
4. Try a squirt or two of your girlfriend/sister’s favorite perfume for a date night.
Money Saved – $128.50
Step 3: De-stress
1. Meditate. Log onto Youtube and pull up one of the dozens of meditation videos. Chill to the sounds of the rain forest, ocean, thunderstorm or whatever floats your zen boat.
2. Ask your significant other for a full body massage. Offer to return the favor. Warning – may lead to other “non-stressful” activities.
3. Find a book you love and block out 30 minutes before bed to curl up and read with no interruptions.
4. Take a nap. Allow yourself to forget about the dishes, laundry, errands and whatever else you “have” to do – and just snuggle in bed for 15 – 30 minutes.
Money Saved – $200
Step 4: Define
1. Give your hair a break! Try an at home hot oil treatment. 6 T olive oil heated til warm – spread in hair starting at the tips. Wrap in towel – sit 30 minutes. Wash and shampoo hair.
2. Remember to use sunscreen. Even on cloudy days your face takes a beating.
3. Get 8 hours of sleep. Just try it. See how much better you look the next morning!
Money Saved – $325.50
And here’s something else. Some of the best things you can do to be “gorgeous” have nothing to do with hair, makeup, skin, clothes or other superficial things. Call a friend you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up. Do something nice for someone in need around you (yes…that someone who just came to mind). Play hopscotch on the sidewalk with a child. Laugh. Give someone at work the benefit of the doubt. Choose not to let the person who just cut you off ruin your day. Tell your family you love them. Be willing to say “I’m sorry”. Being gorgeous on the inside is always reflected on the outside – and it’s practically free.