I have pretty much become famous off these scones – at least in my small corner of the world. My sisters ask me to bring them to anything they can: camping trips, brunches, bridal or baby showers, Mother’s Day, treat-day at school. You name it, I’m asked to bring these. The sour cream and baking soda combo makes the texture perfectly airy and yet still moist. The possibilities are endless for mix ins – try whatever you fancy!
Tonya’s Super Fantastic Scones
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter
* 1 egg
* 1 cup raisins (optional)
Optional Egg Wash: For a golden color when baked, mix one egg yolk with a little water and brush on scones prior to baking.
1. In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 355° F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in large bowl. Beat the egg with vanilla and add to the sugar/butter mixture.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to the butter/sugar mixture – do not overmix.
5. Stir the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened.
6. Mix in any toppings – for orange/cranberry scones 1 C dried cranberries and the zest from one orange. For chocolate chip scones, 1 C mini chocolate chips.
7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball. Cut in half. Roll or pat each half into two 3/4 inch thick rounds. Cut each into 6 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake 14 to 18 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
9. Allow to cool completely on wire racks. Glaze or top as desired. For orange glaze – orange juice, zest and powdered sugar until desired consistency.