A few days before any family trip I turn into somewhat of a baking monster. Something inside my brain clicks over into crazy bakerlady mode and I make piles of food. Seriously – if the end of the world happens when I’m away somewhere camping, my family will survive for at least 3 months just with the food on hand. This weekend we’re hanging with some friends and today began the baking craziness. First on the docket, my peanut butter balls. Part rice crispy treat, part peanut butter cup, they are completely addictive! I mean really, does it get any better than peanut butter and chocolate?
Crispy Peanut Butter Balls
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 C milk chocolate chips + 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 T shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter and marshmallow creme; add cereal and stir until well coated. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until chips are melted; stir until smooth.
- Roll cereal mixture into 1-in. balls; dip in chocolate. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Refrigerate until set. I like to melt some peanut butter for a few seconds in a plastic ziploc baggie and drizzle it on top. Mmmmmmm.
*Reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter are not recommended for this recipe.